Marine Biologist

in

Last patient of the morning
He was late
Grudingly I called him in
I wanted to go to lunch
Glancing at his new patient information
I zeroed in on Occupation- Marine Biologist
By the look on his face
I knew that we must be in trouble
"Awful bout the oil spill", I said
"Horrible", he replied
Shaking his head, looking down

He gave his awful prognosis
"It will affect the whole East Coast
The oil will raise the water temperature
Hurricanes will be stronger as a result"
I turned off the lights and proceeded to check his vision
hoping beyond hope that the vision
he had just painted was wrong
Finishing up the exam
saddened and sickened by his news
I went off guiltily to eat my lunch
provided by one of the big drug companies

As the oil continues to gush
and images of those oil slicked pelicans
flicker on the TV screen
it seems just too unimaginable, too unreal
and as the days tick by with no solution
It appears that all we can do is pray
pray to a G-d who may not be able to listen

4 comments:

Saras said...

It is a pity we cannot prevent this tragedy. If this kind of abuse is allowed to continue we may be forced to pay a heavy price sooner or later. We have to preserve the ecology.

gurlgonewrite said...

subliminal reality. I would never understand why's and reasoning for not having a black-up plan...it doesn't make any sense. Is everything about the dollar bill? You would think one would learn from previous mistakes of others.


We are our own worse natural disaster.


T

Lorna said...

eloquent and tearmaking.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Bummer :(