A post from the unfinished drafts archives

in

Ok, day 7- deep breathe - i think i can , i think i can. Let's consult the damn list: Day 7- post from a saved draft(s). Well now, let's looks at the Plan - today is Tuesday - Existential angst/lunch. Well Mercury must not be retrograde, the stars must be aligned. I have a saved draft about lunch.
Prompt: Lunchtime memory from when you were little:

In Grammer school(that's what we called Grade school - grade K-8 in NJ) we went home at lunchtime. Sometimes my mother would get creative and the plate would have celery and olives that made a smiley face. I remember tunafish sandwiches on white bread, cut on the diagonal and a steamy bowl of cream of tomato soup with Ritz crackers on the side, ready to crumble in.

On the way back to school I would sometimes stop in the corner candy store for some penny candy. Sometimes if i had a nickel, i would wait til after school to stop in and get a milkyway or three musketeers. Once in awhile I would get a skybar - eating the favs first or saving best for last. I liked the vanilla best then carmel, chocolate, and peanut last. Then there were those multi-colored buttons on the paper and the red wax lips. I never understood what the appeal of those buttons on the paper was, as I wasn't adept enough to eat them without eating some of the paper as well. As usual it's all about the dessert.

Uh-oh no time to edit, time for House.

4 comments:

off line said...

Your sandwiches cut on a diagonal...

My dad also cut my sandwiched the same so when i became a mom--we'', first i was a step-mom, that's how i cut the kids sandwiches. my step-daughter...home visiting after she's gone to university said 'mom' i always met to thank you for cutting my sandwiches on a diagonal. Some how, Little Girl Deb, in all of her confusion, decided that i couldn't be a bad step-mom if if cut sandwiches this way...
By her standards, you had a good mom.

BendingPeak said...

I remember calling the buttons "paper buttons" because there was no possible way to eat them without getting paper with each one.
Ahhh... the memories!

Mary said...

Tomato soup. Milky Way. Isn't it all evocative?

Hate to tell you but Mercury is retrograde until the 18th ......

rdl said...

Edie, uh-oh I better start cutting them on the diagonal - don't think i ever have.
bendingpeak- glad i wasn't the only one.
Mary- hmm, so much for my theory; sometimes the magic works. :D